Monday, November 4, 2013

Knowing How It Feels Changes Your Perspective

“You’ve been in darkness, loneliness, and nothingness for so long. And one day, without noticing it, you’ll be moving into the sun, and in love with the world, and you’ll be glad you’re still here.” ~ Unknown

I’m glad I’m still here. If not for luck and a lot of love I wouldn’t be. Depression is a deep dark pit of despair. There is no light, there is no love, there is only the echo of the terrible thoughts in your head. Depression is lonely. It is isolating. It is tiring. Your very soul aches. Everything is painful. The present looks bleak and you don’t even think about the future other than to hope you don’t see it. The pain becomes excruciating. You pray for it to end. It is at this point that you are dying to be free of the nightmares that are your own irrational thoughts. Sometimes you hold on. You have too. Others are counting on you to make it. Sometimes you give up and leave a wide debris path when you extinguish that pain forever.

My husband, Pete, died by suicide. He was depressed, he was anxious and he was paranoid. I tried to get him help but it was too late. Two weeks into beginning a stint with antidepressants he hung himself. It was a terrifying ordeal. I have never felt pain that deep. It shattered my world. I spent eighteen years of my life loving him and now he was gone. You just don’t do that to people you love. I know how great his pain was. I have been there myself. I never would have guessed how damaging suicide is to those you leave behind.

I curled up into the fetal position both literally and figuratively. I just went through the motions of daily life and self medicated as much as possible. I dreaded waking up in the morning. I felt like, “Fucking great! I woke to see another day. Yay me. Not?” You see the truth is that at that point I just wanted to die. I prayed that I would. I prayed I would just die in my sleep of a broken heart. I now knew the great depth of pain that Pete felt when he decided to commit suicide. I now understood his despair. It killed me that he had been in that much pain, but then so had I.

I spent several months on auto-pilot. I made a lot of poor decisions. My moods were all over the place. Then I sort of stabilized. Sort of. I think I became hypo-manic. It is not a full blown manic episode it is just a heightened state of euphoria. It was during this period that I met Mike. I honestly don’t know why he is still with me. I did everything I could think of to push him away. He wouldn’t budge. Mike is my saint. He swooped in, scooped up all the broken pieces of my heart and put me back together. It was not smooth sailing. I was the mess I was because of what I had been through in addition to being bi-polar and Mike was a mess from having been used and fucked over so many times. We knew we were in love but we fought hard against it. Then one day everything just magically clicked into place. It’s like the clouds parted for me and suddenly I was living in abundant white light.

My relationship with Mike is easy and loving. I love him unconditionally as he does me. There is a strong trust in our relationship. We love like old souls reconnected. I bask in the glow of our love and everything in my world seems just fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment