Friday, October 18, 2013

Sudafed and St. Francis of Assisi

It’s been over a week since my last post. Not really much has happened because I got sick and because I don’t get out much. I came down with some sort of sinus issue that left me with a headache that was worse than a migraine. I was afraid that I would have to go to the doctor. This is a luxury that I can not afford so, on Mike’s advice I loaded up on Sudafed and allergy meds. I was down and out for four days. I’m happy to say that I feel marvelous now. I was afraid it was a sinus infection because I had bouts of hot and cold sweats. I thank my lucky stars that it was merely allergies. The Sudafed worked like a charm. Within a half hour of taking it the headache was gone. Unfortunately, it made me speed my brains out.

Sudafed works much like ADHD meds. I compare it to Adderall. It made me extremely focused but unable to sleep through the night. That took its toll on me as I work until 2 AM and usually don’t get to bed till 3 and I was waking up at 5:00 then tossing and turning only to fall asleep for another hour. Of course it affected my mood. I was in sort of a mixed state and maybe a little bitchy. I’m not sure I was really that much of a bitch. I think I was just too tired to deal.

So, I haven’t really done much more than read. I’m back to devouring at least one ebook a day. I love to read but I get too pulled in. The focus that the Sudafed gave me allowed me to totally immerse myself into different worlds without distraction. I can get so into a book or a character that it is hard to pull myself out. I find myself wanting to stay in that imaginary world and most times am sad when a book is finished. I’m lucky enough to have found several free sources to feed my passion for reading. My Kindle is well stocked. Reading free books means that I am reading about a variety of topics. I read whatever is free and somewhat appealing. In the last week I have read romantic comedies, historical fiction and even a biography on St. Francis of Assisi. There are so many worlds to explore. I’m thankful to my mom for teaching me to read at such a young age and for instilling in me a love of reading.
 
Speaking of my mom, she and my daddy are back in Florida for the next several months. I can’t wait to see them. They got in on Wednesday and will be staying until sometime in May of next year. I’ve missed them. So, I guess it’s time to have a welcome back party. I do love a party and this gives me a reason. I’m not sure when it will be because I don’t know if Mike is on call this weekend or not. Maybe we will just have a quiet picnic with just the four of us and if Mike gets called out he’ll just have to go. When he is on call we can’t have one of our wild get togethers because Mike can’t really drink. First of all he has to drive. Second and even more dangerous is that he has to work with a chainsaw around live electrical wires. There isn’t a lot of room for errors there so it is best that he is sober while doing so.

Wow! Having just reread this it is apparent that I am no longer on speed. My ADHD brain is up to its usual tricks and leading all over the place. Maybe I should address this with my doctor. I kind of like being focused. The big concern that he has is that ADHD meds can be stimulating and might exacerbate my anxiety. I don’t need that. So I have to pick and choose carefully. I would much rather be daffy and all over the place than panic stricken. With that said, I think I will conclude this installment because I don’t know what other tangents I may go off on. The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment